Transport for London
Stratford, East London
Fixed Term Contract for 12 months
About the role:
The Transport for London Health, Safety and Environment team has a vital role in providing professional support, guidance and direction to the TfL business to ensure compliance with Health, Safety and Environment legislation, our management system and best practice in the control of HS&E risks.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Occupational Hygienist to join our HSE Specialist Services team to provide advice across all areas of TfL. In this role, you will assess and control physical, chemical, biological and environmental health hazards in the workplace and be the competent Occupational Hygiene specialist. You will work in partnership with the business to achieve legal compliance and good practice.
- Accountable for developing the Occupational Hygiene Strategy for TfL and delivering strategic Occupational Hygiene improvement projects and programmes to improve TfL and local HSE performance
- Competently advising TfL managers on the content and use of the HSE management system related to Occupational and Environmental Hygiene and providing HSE training to ensure company HSE requirements are met
- Engaging with internal stakeholders including trade unions responding to queries, influencing new ways of working and fulfilling HSE legal and other (e.g. mayoral) requirements
- Positively represent TfL with external stakeholders by providing day to day technical input on issues relating to Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, responding to external queries and to consultation on emerging legislation, to achieve legal compliance and good practice
- Accountable for the analysis and interpretation of occupational hygiene samplings and monitoring to inform the choice of risk control strategy
- Accountable for the formulation of sampling and monitoring process to measure health hazards in the work environment so that levels of exposure are known and to competently advise on the selection of external contractors and their scope of work, oversee contractors undertaking this work and validate reports
- Accountable for applying the principles of occupational hygiene across TfL, these being: anticipating, recognising, evaluating and proposing controls for health hazards within the TfL domain with the objective of protecting worker health and well-being and safeguarding TfL’s customers and users and the community at large. This includes the use of engineering controls to design out health hazards or reduce exposures to a minimum.
- Ability to write complex technical reports on occupational hygiene subjects taking account of the political and strategic direction of the organisation
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Ability to deliver training on a range of occupational hygiene subject matters
- Highly developed communication skills
- Degree (MSc or BSc in Occupational Hygiene) or equivalent qualification in Occupational Hygiene (e.g. BOHS module qualifications)
- Excellent knowledge of assessment and control of the following: physical hazards -(airborne particulates: dusts, silicates, asbestos), noise, vibration, ionizing and non inoizing radiation; chemical hazards – gases, vapours, liquid chemicals and Biological hazards – Occupational Zoonoses, bacteria, moulds, viruses
- Sound and current knowledge of the relevant legislation, standards and procedures
- In depth Knowledge of HSE specific disciplines related to Occupational Hygiene (including risk assessment and management of topics such as noise, hazardous substances, dust, vibration and lead)
- Knowledge of core MS office IT packages and specialist equipment and their associated software e.g. Sound level meters and Light meters is desirable but not essential.
- Experience of chemical, biological and physical hazards evaluation, along with incident investigations and root cause analysis
- Experience of using occupational hygiene equipment e.g. Sound Level Meters, Air quality meters, Light meters; and interpreting the results
- Experience of managing and advising stakeholders around topics such as noise, hazardous substances, dust, whole body/arm vibration and lead)
- Experience of providing Occupational Hygiene advice to a range of Company levels in a medium to high risk industry
- Experience of producing and delivering reports/presentations for use throughout the organisation to support local business processes
- Experience of interpreting and summarising specialist reports so they can be understood by a non specialist
- Experience of advising managers at all levels of the organisation on HSE activities in line with legislative and policy requirements
- Experience of working in a unionised environment
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme.
- Free travel for you on the TfL network.
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan.
- 30 days’ annual leave plus public and bank holidays.
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional).
- Tax-efficient childcare payments.
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme.
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers.
- Discounted Eurostar travel.
On applying, you will need to supply your CV and a two page covering letter.
To apply please click on the apply button to visit our website.
Closing date: 30 September 2018 @ 23:59.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.