Health and Safety Officer (Construction)| University of Exeter
Salary: £44,000 + excellent benefits package including 41 days annual leave
We're been engaged by the University of Exeter to recruit a Health and Safety Officer to join their busy Estates Services team. The University of Exeter is listed in the Russell Group for research and is one the leading higher education providers in the country. The primary focus of this position will be to lead on Health and Safety across extensive portfolio of building works and building maintenance projects across the University.
Health and Safety is a top priority for the University and the successful candidate will join a well-established team of technical professionals operating across various specialisms. The role will provide construction safety advice to internal members of the Estates team and external contractors delivering projects.
Responsibilities of the Health and Safety Officer will include:
- Leading on the development and delivery of robust health and safety controls across all building activity across the university
- Engaging with internal staff and external contractors involved in construction projects, to ensure legal compliance and drive a positive health and safety culture
- Investigating key Health and safety challenges with stakeholders and coach contractors to implement corrective actions to drive performance improvements
- Provide expert health and safety advice on CDM, Asbestos, Confined spaces, Working at Heights etc
- Supporting the wider team in the development and delivery of the strategy, identifying opportunities to enhance the effectiveness of the team internally and externally
The successful Health and Safety Officer will have:
- Proven experience in a similar Health and Safety role, ideally from a construction, building maintenance or related industry
- Minimum of NEBOSH Construction Cert or equivalent health and safety qualification (ideally Diploma level qualified)
- Membership of a relevant industry body, (i.e IOSH)
- Awareness and understanding of Asbestos management and control
- Understanding of CDM and pre-construction planning
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with experience influencing and engaging with a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong attention to detail with a proven track record of managing multiple projects simultaneously
This is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving university and take a lead role on an extensive construction and development portfolio. For further information contact Michael Colton on or 01923 432 633 to discuss further and apply.
Irwin & Colton are a specialist Health and Safety recruitment company, based in the South East of England we recruit across the UK. We recruit all roles in the health and safety industry from Health and Safety Manager, Health and safety Director through to Health and Safety Advisor positions.