Health and Safety Manager
Status: This is a full-time, permanent role
Salary: Circa £38k per annum based on experience
Location: National role with offices in London, Manchester, Leeds, Reading and Birmingham. Flexible base but with min 2 days a week in our London Waterloo office.
The Challenge’s vision is a more integrated society where there is understanding and appreciation of each other’s differences. We design and deliver programmes that bring different people together to develop their confidence and skills in understanding and connecting with others. We believe everyone benefits when people from all walks of life come together to better know, understand and trust each. This applies to the people we employ to work with us. As an equal opportunities employer our aim is to have a diverse workforce to reflect the communities we work in.
About the role
You will be responsible for overseeing Health and Safety across The Challenge programmes and offices. Your role will primarily be supporting our programmes including the National Citizen Service (NCS) which engages approximately 35,000 young people aged 15-17 annually. You will spend approximately 25% of your time supporting organisational health and safety, with a greater focus on this during non-delivery periods.
In this role you will provide a blend of operational and strategic leadership and be able to establish a strong culture of Health and Safety across the organisation, balancing an pproach that will be challenging whilst supportive.
- Manage, develop and promote Health and Safety across all programmes and the regional offices
- Develop and implement a Health and Safety strategy, supported by appropriate policies and procedures
- Provide oversight of programme health and safety processes ensuring that they are compliant with national standards, and where appropriate, in line with contractual and governing body requirements
- Provide technical advice and support to managers in delivering safe programmes e.g. checking compliance with fire regulations, food safety etc.
- Develop and maintain an effective health and safety auditing and inspection programme including assurance and compliance visits of all programmes delivered by The Challenge, including subcontracted provision
- Act as part of the major incident response team including undertaking overnight and weekend on call duties as part of a rota
- Develop and deliver Health and Safety training and interventions for staff.
- Act as the key point of contact for HSE and enforcement agencies, and ensure relevant incidents are reported to HSE and other statutory bodies (e.g. RIDDOR) in line with statutory requirements.
- Identify key performance indicators in Health and Safety and produce management reports and statistics on incidents, accidents, and near misses data for senior managers, identifying any areas of concern and proposed interventions.
- Provide advice and support to the Facilities teams in providing safe working environments and ensuring all permanent and temporary premises are compliant with basic standards.
- Manage first aid and fire warden provision across the organisation including advising on minimum requirements for first aid in programme delivery
Skills and experience
- Formal qualification in Health and Safety with a minimum of NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent, along with membership of IOSH.
- Experience of managing health and safety within education, outdoor education or youth work sectors.
- Experience of developing relevant policies and embedding these in practice
- Proactive, self- motivated, with excellent influencing, engagement, communication and leadership skills.
- Experience of working in large, complex organisations and have change management experience.
- Due to the nature of this role a flexible approach to working is required including limited opportunities for leave during delivery periods.
- Able to develop and deliver training relevant to roles
- Familiar with AALA regulations and health and safety relating to adventurous activity provision
- Experience related to managing health and safety in work placements, educational visits or similar.
- Working knowledge of Safeguarding and Quality Assurance processes.
The Challenge is committed to safeguarding and protecting the young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to a safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies and procedures in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across our programmes.
We expect all staff and post holders to share this commitment to safeguarding by ensuring compliance with our policies and practices.
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK or have a valid visa or work permit for a minimum of 6 months at the time of application will be considered for this role.
In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension, Simplyhealth cash plan, Ride 2 Work, childcare vouchers, season ticket travel card loan etc. to eligible employees.
The Challenge Network (The Challenge) is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. Our privacy notice can be found here: https://the-challenge.org/careers. This privacy notice describes how we collect and use personal information about you prior to, during and after your working relationship with us, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or any subsequent data protection legislation in force from time-to-time.
To apply: Please apply by sending your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Interviews will be the week commencing 10 December 2018.
Closing date: 2 December 2018