Health and Safety Advisor
LOCATION: Surrey Police Headquarters & Sussex Police Headquarters
HOURS OF DUTY: Normal working hours will be Monday to Friday but there will be the need for evening and weekend working as required.
The varied nature of policing means this roles offers you the opportunity to expand your professional knowledge and competency within a varied environment, dealing with issues as diverse as the safety of public events, operational policing to our dog training school. Although a policing background is preferable, we encourage applications from all industries and backgrounds, as we offer training and professional support as well as a structured safety management system which we are rolling out across both our Forces.
- Assist and support the Head of Health and Safety in discharging their duties to deliver a compliant, efficient and cost effective health and safety service.
- Provide professional advice, guidance and instruction on the application and management of health and safety legislation, EC directives, HSE Codes of practice, and relevant Force Policies to all areas of the collaboration seeking to ensure compliance and appropriate application both in the workplace and on Operations/Exercises.
- Undertake detailed research and preparation of background papers, clarifying issues and making proposals for new or existing health and safety Policy and Practice in order to ensure that best value is achieved and that issues relating to Law, EC Directives and Codes of Practice applicable to the collaboration are not intentionally or negligently breached.
- Provide assistance to the on-going development, review, implementation and communication of the Surrey Sussex Health and Safety Management System and website to promulgate essential compliance and best practice information across all areas of the Force.
- Provide appropriate advice and guidance to officers and staff in the drafting of Risk Assessments, Standard Operating Procedures etc., and where appropriate, make recommendations and support suitable health & safety competency training.
- Attend relevant meetings and/or site visits etc. to offer timely and appropriate health and safety advice.
- To support the other Health & Safety Advisors in the service in the provision of their duties including Fleet, Facilities and Estates management.
- Provide day to day support and guidance to the Health & Safety Assistants within the service.
- Where appropriate, in the event of major incidents outside of Surrey and Sussex, offer health and safety support and assistance to other Forces within the London and South East Region as stipulated in the Association of Police Health & Safety Advisors (APHSA) Memorandum of Understanding (signed by the Deputy Chief Constables 2011).
- Support the management of the collaboration’s relationship with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), to ensure that Surrey/Sussex Police is regarded as competent and co-operative, and minimise the risk of adverse decisions or actions by the HSE.
Skills and Experience
- In depth knowledge and experience of health and safety risk management in the Police service or other similar multi-disciplined work environment;
- Robust problem solving skills with the ability to provide realistic solutions in a timely manner;
- Good personal time management, planning and organisational skills with the ability to effectively adapt as necessary with organisational change;
- Confidence and competence to support and guide other members of the service i.e. H&S Assistants;
- Ability to work independently to deadlines and under pressure with confidence whilst maintaining accuracy and attention to detail;
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to analyse, interpret and clearly articulate all health and safety matters and provide specialist advice across all health and safety matters to all ranks and grades of the collaboration;
- Excellent verbal and written communications and skills.
- IT literate in Microsoft programs, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Minimum NEBOSH General Certificate in Health & Safety/ Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH), Level2 Award in Health & Safety.
- Current member of recognised professional body i.e. Technical level member of the Institution of Occupational Safety & Health (IOSH), International Institute of Risk & Safety Management (IIRSM), Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH).
- Good general secondary education to GCSE/A Level or equivalent.
- A high standard of personal and organisational integrity;
- Ability to clearly and concisely articulate, sometimes complex, health and safety issues, and how they could impact service delivery and operational capability;
- Positive, ‘can-do’ outlook and culture towards effective health and safety management;
- A desire to continually maintain and develop professional competency and skill sets;
- Ability to demonstrate a flexible approach to work and working hours as needs arise, including weekends and unsociable hours;
- Ability to work and contribute effectively within a small team;
- Ability to obtain Police BDA driving permit to enable the use of pool cars for visits across a wide geographical area throughout Surrey and Sussex.
▫ Currently holds, or is working towards the NEBOSH Diploma/CIEH Level 3 Award or similar
▫ Knowledge and experience in the preparation and delivery of health and safety training packages
- Surrey Police Vacancies are advertised in parallel with Force redeployment processes, this may lead to a vacancy being withdrawn after advertising.
To apply please follow the link below or click the APPLY button