We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £30,942 - £32,817.00
Closing Date: 26 February 2020
This key role offers an excellent opportunity to work as part of a busy and highly professional health and safety team. The work environment at this research-intensive Russell Group university is diverse, challenging and highly rewarding. The successful candidate will deliver a broad spectrum of competent health & safety support and advice to research, teaching and service colleagues.
You will be highly driven with excellent inter-personal and communication skills. You must be a trained competent person with NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent and have substantial post qualification experience working in a medical, science, technology domain, or similar relevant discipline.
Informal enquiries to Chris Walton, Head of Health and Safety on (0)191 208 6320 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held 9th March 2020
- Working as part of a team, to provide competent, solutions orientated health and safety advice, support and guidance to University staff, postgraduate students and others.
- Working in liaison with the Radiation Protection Advisers, the Biological Safety Adviser, Fire Officers and other OHSS colleagues, to advise and support (via training, inspection and audit) on aspects of health and safety.
- To advise and assist Faculty/Services and Unit staff (including Managers, Principal Investigators and Heads of Units) to enable them to meet their statutory obligations and the relevant University health and safety management standards.
- To attend and contribute to meetings of the relevant Faculty/Services Health & Safety Committee and other committees/working groups, as appropriate.
- To monitor and report on the implementation of health and safety policy and management systems through audits and inspections; and to put forward effective and proportionate recommendations for addressing any shortcomings.
- To devise and deliver health and safety training courses for staff and students at the University.
- To investigate significant incidents, ensure the necessary recording of information, compile comprehensive reports, identify root causes and ensure the appropriate follow up action is implemented.
- To participate in the development and updating of University health and safety management standards and guidance on a project basis.
- To establish and maintain positive working relationships with key stakeholders across the University.
- To maintain membership of relevant professional organisations e.g. IOSH and to update and maintain health and safety competence.
- To cover for other OHSS staff as necessary when required.
- To undertake other tasks commensurate with the grade, as required by the Occupational Health & Safety Manager.
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience as a health and safety practitioner.
- Ability to understand and scrutinise scientific and technical information.
- An up-to-date understanding and working knowledge of the key principles of health and safety, including risk assessment.
- Ability to write succinct, clear reports to a high professional standard.
- Chartered Member of IOSH or equivalent. Where it has not yet been achieved, it is a requirement of the job that the post-holder must gain professional level health and safety knowledge and experience within 3 years. Significant training will be provided for this purpose.
- Awareness and understanding of Higher Education.
- Registered IOSH health and safety trainer.
- Previous work in a complex environment with many competing demands.
Attributes and Behaviour
- Ability to build effective and productive partnership relationships.
- Confident and engaging with excellent presentational skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and influence staff and students at all levels.
- Ability to demonstrate tact, sensitivity and discretion.
- Ability to be assertive when circumstances require.
- Ability to prioritise workload to meet deadlines.
- Degree in Health & Safety, NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent.
- Teaching or train the trainer qualification.
- Auditing qualification.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.