Hays Health & Safety have been exclusively retained by Southwark Council to recruit a Fire Safety Surveyor.
Your New Organisation
Southwark is a place of growth, development and opportunity. It is a borough with a rich and proud history, strong sense of community and a great ability to transform and renew, sometimes very much against the odds.
The borough has always been a place of visionary change. It was home to Alfred Salter, pioneering MP in the early 20th century, who brought one of the first public health services to this corner of London. Fast forward to the 21st century and Southwark again pioneered the roll out of a programme of free healthy school meals to all primary school children in 2011.
Southwark is highly diverse, a product of its history and a reflection of the ability to welcome new communities alongside existing residents. Over 120 languages are spoken in local schools, and 75 per cent of reception-age children are from black and minority ethnic (BME) groups. Over 4 in 5 residents believe this is a place where people of all races live in harmony.
The borough has a vibrant mix of culture, leisure and arts facilities on its doorstep. Historically, Southwark was the centre for entertainment and arts for the city evident by Shakespeare’s Globe.
The borough is home to Tate Modern, Dulwich Picture Gallery and looking to the future the borough will soon welcome London’s newest international theatre at One Tower Bridge when the London Theatre Company opens its door to the public
Southwark is a very modern place. Regeneration and development abound with some of Europe’s most exciting and complex schemes such as Elephant and Castle, Aylesbury, Canada Water and London Bridge Quarter, home of the Shard, being delivered in the borough bringing thousands of new homes and jobs. The extension of the Bakerloo line is planned to come right through the borough improving transport links and again creating more jobs for local residents
- Treating residents as if they were a valued member of our own family.
- Being open, honest and accountable.
- Spending money as if it were from our own pocket.
- Working for everyone to realise their own potential.
- Making Southwark a place to be proud of.
Your New Role
Southwark has invested heavily in its Engineering and Compliance Division and is now seeking to recruit a Fire Safety Surveyor for its housing and modernisation division.
Your main task will be to manage and undertake Fire Risk Assessment inspections and programme, including risk management of assets across the housing division. You will then be responsible for identifying all fire related risks and issues across the portfolio and design, arrange and oversee the necessary remedial actions and work packages as well as provide cost analysis on various projects and provide expenditure forecasts whilst assessing all financial risks that the Council could be exposed to. You will be providing expert specialist fire safety leadership, management, support and advice across the department, ensuring fire safety is inspected, managed and maintained in accordance with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and any other appropriate Health and Safety legislation.
You will take responsibility for:
- carrying out fire risk assessments and FRA reviews in line with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
- the survey and design of individual fire works, schemes or work stream delivery packages and undertake contract administration of borough and area wide contracts as required.
- undertaking contract evaluations, both pre and post contract, and prepare evaluation reports
- managing repairs staff, specialist consultants, designers and clerk of works in order to ensure compliance with fire safety legislation and the council's fire safety strategy and policies
- identifying the technical solutions for fire safety works, and support investment teams in the delivery of major schemes and repair teams and contractors in the delivery of minor works
- liaising with other professional bodies including Building Control and the Fire Service
- providing professional technical support and expertise to investment and repairs teams as well as other housing staff in all matters relating to fire safety
- evaluating alternative fire related designs and specifications and lead on design standardisation.
- leading and delivering expert training to housing staff, contractors and consultants on fire safety and the FRA process
What you will need to succeed
You will hold a formal fire safety qualification and you will have extensive knowledge of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, Building Regulations; and Fire Safety in Purpose Built Block of Flats guidance, as well as experience of carrying out fire risk assessments to complex residential properties. You will be experienced in carrying out diagnostic and quality control inspections of building services and construction in buildings and plant rooms as well as having excellent experience of completing detailed schedules of works and fire related specifications and experience of delivery of investment schemes, including monitoring works on site.
What you’ll get in return
- Total package upto £60k per annum
- Car allowance available
- Full time, Permanent Employment Contract
- 28 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Southwark offers membership of its pension scheme, which is in line with the national Local Government Pension Scheme (a career average scheme).
- Working hours and flexible working arrangements available
- Basic working hours for this role are 36 per week.
Southwark Council is committed to a policy of equality and diversity for all staff regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability or any other factor.
Key Application Dates
- Closing date of Friday 21st September 2018
- Interviews will take place end of September 2018
For an informal, confidential discussion about the role, please call our Retained Recruitment Partners Caroline Binns or Nicole Smith at Hays Specialist Recruitment on 0207 259 8724. All third party applications will be redirected to Hays Specialist Recruitment.