When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
This position supports the global EHS strategy at Swindon site that seeks to proactively manage EHS & Sustainability in order to comply with all applicable regulations and Thermo Fisher Scientific standards, achieve a safe work environment, and minimize impact to the environment.
What will you do?
• Deputise for the EHS Manager in their absence;
• Develop and implement an industrial hygiene monitoring programme to ensure protection of employees and lead on control measures to mitigate potential exposures;
• Lead continuous practice improvements by the development and implementation of new EHS systems and processes to support the business liaising with the PSG Global EHS team;
• Develop and deliver training to support the business and audit compliance with EHS policies;
• Lead the company Employee Safety Representatives directing their tasks and training needs in conjunction with their line managers;
• Devise and support risk assessments for the company, including development and auditing of risk assessments and control measures in place;
• Review and update company procedures and provide practical workshops and briefing sessions;
• Lead and direct non-departmental safety staff associated with Emergency Response Team, Face Fit Testing, etc;
• Interface with the Waste Management Contractor to ensure effective service delivery to the business;
• Audit and review the company accident and incident investigation system ensuring statutory compliance and insurance requirements;
• To assist the EHS manager in the development, accreditation to, maintenance and continual improvement of an integrated EHS management system particularly in relation to IOS 14001;
• Ability to undertake inter-site travel to support the UK business as directed by the EHS Manager;
• To assist the EHS Manager in the development and introduction of EHS policies and procedures to support an integrated EHS management system.
• Delivery of Training/ Workshops as required to communicate company policies and procedures;
• Development of risk assessments;
• Investigation of safety accidents and incidents producing reports in a timely manner;
• Undertaking EHS compliance audits;
• Delivery of company induction programmes and updating of company EHS procedures;
• Attending meetings representing EHS and coordinating ESR meetings and workshops;
• Inspection and spot checks of contractors;
• Supporting the Permit to Work system;
• Supporting the site management responsibilities;
• The lead member of the Emergency Response Team;
• Approving contractors to the company approval system;
• Supporting managers and staff with EHS queries and supporting the Safety Certification system;
• Company first aider coordinator;
• Support the PSG Global EHS team with implementation of PSG global standards;
• Waste management interface;
• Comply with GMP requirements and company rules, policies and procedures
• Understand emergency procedures and comply with safe systems of work;
• Ensure compliance with environment, health and safety rules, signage and instructions at all times;
• Ensure prompt reporting and investigation of all accidents, near misses and breaches of rules.
How will you get here?
• NEBOSH Diploma or similar qualification
• A chartered member of IOSH or working towards
• Experience with health and safety systems, e.g. risk assessments, incident reporting, emergency planning and response, etc is a must
• Computer literate, excellent Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Experience in waste management is desirable
• Ideally hold an environmental qualification and have environmental permitting experience;
• ISO14001 experience (or 18001/45001) is desirable
• Ideally have industrial hygiene experience or a willingness to learn;
• Experienced in delivering EHS training desirable
• Ability to work with others to achieve results in a fast moving environment;
• Ability to work to critical timelines;
• An excellent planner, who can envisage short-term milestones which the company must achieve to succeed in the long-term;
• Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral, and the self-confidence to use these skills to influence others to buy into proposals and plans;
• Analytical and problem solving skills;
• Perseverance and ability to accept resistance
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.