An exciting opportunity has arisen for a part time (30 hours per week) Senior Health & Safety Specialist at Wokingham Borough Council. As part of a small team your drive and enthusiasm will make a significant contribution across a diverse range of local authority services including education. Managing risk in a sensible and proportionate way is key to all that we do as a Council and your specialism will enable, empower and support the organisation to do just that.
Key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Supporting and developing the Council’s health and safety and risk management strategies
- Developing health and safety policy and management systems
- Conducting periodic Health and Safety reviews and assurance checks to ensure compliance
- Leading corporate investigations into significant accident and incidents determining suitable remedial action to prevent recurrences
- Acting as the subject matter expert in the development and delivery of health and safety training
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety or equivalent together with membership of an appropriate professional body e.g. Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) is essential
- Previous work experience in a similar role along with a track record of having successfully identified areas for improvement and implementing safety initiatives
- Strong working knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and good practice including its practical application within an occupational setting
- The ability to operate and influence at a strategic level, capable of ‘seeing the bigger picture’ and working corporately
- Approachable and engaging communicator with excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Self-starter with sound IT skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to juggle priorities and work flexibly within a dynamic environment
A current driving licence along with access to a suitable vehicle for use during your duties is essential.
- Flexible working
- 30 days holiday (pro rata) plus Statutory Bank Holidays
- Excellent pension package
- Discounted car parking and leisure centre membership
- Friendly working environment
Salary: up to full time equivalent £46,500 (£37,200 pro rata)
Act now and don’t miss out on this exciting opportunity to join our dynamic specialist Health & Safety Team helping to shape Wokingham Borough Council’s future occupational health and safety strategy.
Wokingham Borough Council has a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates that have a declared disability and meet the minimum requirements for the role. Please make this clear in your covering letter if this applies to you.