Glennon Brothers (www.glennonbrothers.com) is a leading timber processor in the British Isles. It supplies both the Irish and UK markets with products for the construction, pallet wood and fencing industries. It also manufactures timber frame homes and engineered roof trusses for the house building sector. Glennon Brothers has over 460 employees with plants in Longford, Fermoy and Arklow in Ireland, and in Troon and Edinburgh in the UK. Its people, a commitment to service, and ongoing investment in new technology are core to the business. Over the past four years it invested over €25 million across the Group – this included value-added processing in Fermoy and a state-of-the-art combined heat and power plant in Troon. As the company prepares for continued growth and investment, it wishes to recruit a Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality (SHEQ) Manager for Ireland, based in the sawmill in Fermoy, County Cork.
Reporting to the Head of Group Operations, this person will be responsible for implementing the highest SHEQ standards for the protection of staff across sites in Ireland. They will develop SHEQ policies and procedures and ensure all staff are appropriately trained. They will assess compliance of the policies and ensure that incidents are effectively managed, investigated and addressed. They will keep abreast of legislation and developments affecting our industry and advise and support site management accordingly.
Key responsibilities include;
- Develop, implement and maintain practical and effective policies for all sites in Ireland
- Ensure up-to-date risk assessments and implement standard operating procedures
- Assess workplace hazards and formulate preventative measures
- Develop, implement and manage Group wide systems and procedures with Scottish counterpart.
- Work with Group HR Manager to actively promote and prioritise a safe working environment.
- Lead in-house health and safety training and induction of new employees.
- Conduct regular inspections to ensure policies and procedures are being implemented.
- Investigate and record any incident, accident or dangerous occurrences.
- Liaise with regulators and 3rd parties as appropriate in relation to inspections and incidents.
- Develop and manage an annual Health and Safety plan, ensuring all initiatives are delivered.
- Generate required reports for internal and external stakeholders.
This position would suit an energetic and organized, problem-solver with an observant and analytical personality, strong attention to detail and a capacity to prioritize tasks. The candidate will have a Health & Safety degree (Level 7 or higher) or relevant and equivalent knowledge with a minimum of 5 years’ Health & Safety experience. Manufacturing experience, preferably in a heavy industry sector would be ideal. Knowledge of relevant standards in a heavy production environment is important and experience as a PSCS or Safety Officer in the construction industry would be an advantage. Excellent report writing, numerical and interpersonal skills are needed as are a full clean driving licence, proficiency in the English language, eligibility to work in Ireland. Experienced in all areas of Health & Safety including maintaining policies, assessing risks, training, audits & inspection, dealing with incidents and reporting.
This is a permanent role based in Fermoy, County Cork. An attractive package is available for the right candidate.
Applications in the strictest confidence, with full CV by email to: Pat.Glennon@Glennonbrothers.com
or by post to: Pat Glennon, Glennon Brothers, Sawmills, Dublin Road, Longford, Ireland.