Job Title: Safety Advisor
Contract Type: Permanent
Number of Posts: 1
Hours: Full time, 36 hours per week
Closing date: 22nd August 2019
The purpose of this highly visible role is to provide safety advice and support to the business as required and to encourage the implementation of good safe working practices. Our working environment is complex and presents unique challenges; the postholder will assist safety colleagues to promote line management ownership of safety and will play a key role in the safety compliance and assurance process.
The varied nature of work on the parliamentary estate results in a wide safety risk portfolio which includes catering, visitor and retail services, events management, facility management and maintenance of the Palace of Westminster. The varied nature of the parliamentary estate means that the post holder will need to manage several projects at any one time, sometimes with minimal guidance from senior management.
To be successful, candidates must have experience working in a health and safety role and demonstrate knowledge of the key principles of successful health and safety management. The post is ideally suited to a safety professional with several years’ post qualification experience, who is looking to consolidate his/her training and work with experienced safety colleagues.
- Providing guidance and advice to Teams and Offices on compliance with statutory requirements and internal policies, processes and procedures;
- Monitoring the implementation of our safety policies and assisting with the safety assurance process, including the collation of KPIs and inspection data;
- Delivering safety training programmes;
- Undertaking safety tours, audits and inspections;
- Attending safety committees and similar meetings;
- Producing reports, policies and procedures as directed;
- Developing the professional knowledge necessary for the role and to retain/achieve an appropriate level membership of IOSH; and
- Undertake other duties as required and directed by the Head of Parliamentary Safety.
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Relevant experience in providing risk-based advice in a complex organisation, IOSH member (or eligible for membership); strong track record in H&S practices.
- Significant experience of accident reporting/ investigation and the administrative arrangements required to maintain a robust recording system.
- Excellent communications skills with proven experience engaging a wide range of stakeholders in a diverse corporate environment.
- Excellent communications skills with proven experience engaging a wide range of stakeholders in a corporate environment.
- Previous appropriate experience, holding a NEBOSH/NCRQ Certificate or equivalent, be a member of IOSH (or eligible for membership) and have a strong track record in H&S practices.
- Experience of formal health and safety auditing (System review / OHSAS 18001 / ISO 45001)
- Annual leave starting at 30 days pro rata
- Civil Service Pension scheme
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- Discounted membership of the in-house gym
All applications must be submitted on a House of Commons application form.
More information on the role and the full criteria can be found on the job description.