Workplace Health, Safety and Wellbeing / People and Culture
Join us and play your part in creating a transformational living and learning experience for our students. We are offering you the opportunity to become part of our Workplace Health, Safety and Wellbeing team. Our team of health and safety, fire safety and occupational health professionals are committed to supporting the University's core aims of excellence in research and excellence through the Enabling Environments strand of our People Supporting Strategy 2019-2025.
Duties of the role
This is an exciting opportunity to become part of friendly, proactive and committed team of health and safety, and fire safety professionals.
As a member of the Workplace Wellbeing team and its operational lead, the post holder will ensure that Health and Safety is a core organisational priority for the University of Essex.
You will manage the H&S team in ensuring that the University's compliance with legal and operational requirements are met and is in alignment with the University's strategic plan, the People Supporting Strategy and Enabling Environments.
You will be the lead competent person for H&S professional advice with responsibility for:
- Providing advice to the Assistant Director of People and Culture (Workplace Wellbeing) on operational direction, planning, development, implementation, audit and operational issues of the University's health and safety requirements.
- Providing operational professional expert advice to a team of expert H&S officers and fire safety advisors. Giving competent H&S advice to the University, in accordance with regulations - Implementing an effective audit and change management programme that allows the University of Essex to be a progressive leader in the field of H&S.
- Transforming the H&S provision across the organisation, undertaking a range of ambitious diverse activities to increase the profile of a safety culture within the University strategies.
- Line management and responsibility of the H&S team and the services they deliver, leading them to fulfil current and future requirements across the University campuses.
- Leading a continuous improvement review cycle of all H&S training delivered within the University community.
Skills and Qualifications
In order to be successful, you must have the following; be educated to degree level or equivalent qualification in Occupational Health and Safety, be a corporate member of the Institution of Occupation Health and Safety.
You must have significant knowledge and provision of competent health and safety advice on a wide range of risk areas in complex organisations, with skills risk assessments, policies, standards and reports in written format.
A full list of skills and qualifications can be found in the Person Specification of the jobpack.
What do we offer?
As well as working as part of a friendly and supportive team, and the wider People and Culture section, you will be part of a diverse community, whose members support each other in contributing individually and collectively to the best of their ability.
We are committed to ensuring that everyone is encouraged to maximise their potential and provided with many opportunities for training and development. Employees are entitled to join an attractive pension scheme and receive a generous annual leave entitlement, along with the University's mandatory Christmas closure. Read more about how we can support you here.
At the University of Essex, internationalism and diversity is central to who we are and what we do. We are committed to being a cosmopolitan, internationally oriented university that is welcoming to staff and students from all countries, faiths and backgrounds, where you can find the world in one place.