GWR is the proud custodian of one of the most prestigious railway networks in the world. Our services call at over 275 stations, stretching across the South West of England.
We aim to transform the way people think about rail travel by setting a new standard – a better experience for our customers. Together we will restore the railways as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the team
The Safety Team provides advice and guidance to all areas of the business for Occupational Health and Safety. Safety is a busy and challenging environment but is very rewarding. The Safety Team work well together supporting one another, providing excellent customer service to both its internal and external customers.
About the job
GWR is going through a big change management programme with the introduction of new trains, remodelling of engineering depots, the progression of electrification through the network as well as a number of smaller projects. The role of Lead Safety Manager is to manage GWRs Safety Manager team, ensuring the safety GWRs colleagues, customers and contractors.
What you'll be doing
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Providing strategic guidance to the Safety Manager team, ensuring the health, safety and welfare of GWRs colleagues, customers and contractors;
- Reduce potential risk exposure through the safety management of change process, ensuring all changes are managed through this process and controls are in place;
- Undertake Occupational Health & Safety audits;
- Manage GWRs safety action tracker, ensuring actions are entered onto the action tracker and closed out within the specified timescales;
- Write, develop and review safety management procedures
- Work closely with both internal and external customers providing guidance and direction where required on the practical application of safety legislation and industry standards.
You'll need to be:
- An enthusiastic, highly motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills, who must have the ability to work under their own initiative with minimum supervision;
- Able to adapt quickly to changing demands, prioritising workload.
- Must be able to effectively communicate and confidently consult with all internal company / industry stakeholders, including frontline colleagues, line and senior managers, trade union representatives, regulatory inspectors, other operators, as well as relevant external industry / non-industry bodies;
- Able to translate complex legislation, data, guidance and agreements into practical information, to ensure a culture of continuous improvement within GWR's risk and safety management system;
- Must have the ability to analyse data and produce accurate reports with practical solutions, often to tight timescales.
As a minimum you'll need to have:
- NEBOSH general certificate;
- At least 5 years experience of working within a safety management role ideally within the rail industry;
- Previous experience of managing a team;
- An excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Ability to produce reports / PowerPoint presentations;
- A proactive and motivated approach;
- An ability to undertake risk assessments.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including defined benefit salary pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, childcare vouchers and an Employee assistance programme.
About the location:
There are good local transport links making this an accessible location to work.
Hours for this role are Monday to Friday, however there may be exceptional circumstances which mean there is a requirement to work outside this pattern.
Due to the nature of this role there will be a requirement to travel across the GWR network and spend nights away from your home location.
The more varied our workforce, the broader the expertise within our organisation. And the broader our expertise, the greater our chances of innovation and success. That's why we're committed to equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion at every level.
If you share our passion for the railway then we would love to hear from you.