Health, Safety and Environmental Manager
Location: Tyne and Wear, Gatehead
Who we are
Go North East operates public transport services in the North-East and East Yorkshire. Employing over 3000 people, with a fleet of 1000 vehicles, we are the regional subsidiary of the Go-Ahead Group plc, an international transport provider of bus and rail services.
What you'll do
We are looking for an enthusiastic pro-active and pragmatic person who can positively influence the business. Reporting to the Risk Manager you must be an experienced and competent health & safety and environmental professional who can lead and manage a team of specialists.
This is a hands-on, managerial role and you will pro-actively support line managers to drive continuous improvement in health, safety, environment and facilities. The post holder will ensure compliance with legislation and company policies/procedures to ensure a safe and healthy working environment for our colleagues and to protect our customers, visitors, and third parties.
- Create and manage a business focused HSE plan to ensure it is implemented consistently across all Go North East sites and vehicle operations;
- Support senior management to develop and promote the Company's strategy on health, safety, environment and facilities;
- Generate legal compliant and business integrated policies and procedures;
- Ensure that implications for HSE and facilities are considered and agreed via our change management process prior to changes being implemented;
- Ensure that GNE properties are managed safely to meet business needs; with particular relevance to managing external suppliers and contractors;
- Co-ordinate all aspects of pollution control, waste management, recycling, environmental health, conservation and renewable energy;
Based at Gateshead Riverside you must be able to travel between Go North East sites and other locations, including those within Go-Ahead, as required.
- NEBOSH National Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health or equivalent;
- Membership of IOSH;
- The ability to manage a team and organise and prioritise own workload & that of others;
- Experience of influencing senior management and trade unions;
- Interest in the public transport industry.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with the level of the role, its responsibilities and what you can bring to this role;
- Please let us know your desired salary expectations
- Basic 38-hour week, but you are expected to work reasonable additional time as the needs of the business may require;
- Travel pass for various operators’ bus services;
- Contributory Pension Scheme;
- Lifestyle benefits;
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
To apply, please click the "APPLY NOW" button by the 5th October 2018 - Previous applicants need not re-apply.