Wokingham Borough Council is currently recruiting for a full time permanent Health and Safety Manager. Reporting to the Head of HR you will work proactively to help ensure a strong health and safety culture is maintained across our unitary local authority in order to keep staff and those accessing our services and buildings safe.
With a fresh consultative and commercial approach modelled to fit our broad and varied customer base, this is an exciting time for you to join our small health and safety team. Managing risk in a sensible and proportionate way is key to all that we do as a Council and your drive and specialism will enable, empower and support the organisation to do just that.
Along with a town centre location (Wokingham has close proximity to Reading and excellent road and rail links) we offer good benefits such as flexible working, a generous annual leave entitlement and an excellent pension package.
Key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Supporting and developing the Council’s health and safety and risk management strategies for its services and schools
- Keeping abreast of changes in health and safety legislation and best practice, helping to shape and further develop pragmatic health and safety policy, management systems and training
- Leading the compliance and assurance programmes for health and safety
- Overseeing corporate investigations into significant incidents to ensure root causes are established together with suitable remedial action to prevent recurrences
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent together with membership of an appropriate professional body e.g. Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health is essential
- Experience in a similar corporate role along with a proven track record of having successfully identified areas for improvement and implementing safety initiatives
- The ability to operate and influence at a strategic level; capable of ‘seeing the bigger picture’ and working corporately
- Highly proficient in IT, an engaging communicator with excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Self-starter with the ability to juggle competing demands and work flexibly within a dynamic environment
A current driving licence along with access to a suitable vehicle for use during your duties is essential.
Interested? Click below ‘APPLY NOW’ and send your C.V. along with a covering letter to email@example.com.
Wokingham Borough Council is an equal opportunities employer; where applicants have declared a disability and meet the essential criteria for the role they will be short-listed for an interview.
Closing Date for Applications: 19 January 2020
Interviews: w/c 27 January 2020
If you would like further information or wish to arrange for an informal chat about this opportunity then email firstname.lastname@example.org