Today, 12 children and young people in the UK hear the shocking news they have cancer. CLIC Sargent is the UK’s leading cancer charity for children and young people, and their families, and provides them with clinical, practical, emotional and financial support. You can be a part of helping them cope with cancer and get the most out of life.
Health and Safety Manager
This is an exciting opportunity to work across the organisation to further develop our internal H&S risk management capability, embedding a culture of excellent H&S practice and continuous improvement.
You’ll be an experienced Health and Safety Manager and will manage, develop and monitor Health and safety throughout the charity. As the in-house H&S Officer and the appointed competent person (with reference to the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999) you’ll possess up to date knowledge of health and safety legislation and our legal and statutory responsibilities.
Based in the Strategy and Governance directorate, you’ll partner with departments across CLIC Sargent, adapting your style and communication skills to best serve the needs of the organisation. You will possess a pragmatic and delivery focused approach, striving to continually improve organisational processes, systems and promoting a positive health and safety culture. You will also be a team player, as happy providing advice on H&S as rolling up your sleeves to work alongside colleagues to directly deliver changes and improvements.
Most important of all is a passion for your work and for our fight for young lives against cancer.
In return we offer a competitive salary, impressive benefits, flexible working, tea, cake and the opportunity to be part of one of the most exciting charities around.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing and assisting on all elements of operational H&S and fire safety - ensuring that we fully understand compliance requirements and are able to demonstrate how we meet these
- Managing the delivery of H&S improvement plans and monitoring and reporting progress
- Developing suitable H&S reporting and maintaining, cascading and reporting H&S statistics and performance indicators
- Reviewing and writing H&S policies, management standards and guidance documents in accessible and easy to understand language
- Advising on and undertaking a variety of risk assessments across the organisation
- Developing H&S training plans and design, delivery and budgeting of H&S training
- Carrying out audits, inspections and investigations
- Business partnering with all parts of the organisation and directly working with teams to deliver improvements in processes, systems and record keeping
- Organising and supporting the various H&S governance groups across the organisation
- Developing plans to raise awareness of H&S across the organisation
We are looking for a H&S Manager (NEBOSH or similar) who is able to demonstrate:
- Experience of a similar H&S role - working in a multi-site, busy and varied role
- Effective management of a programme of work and strong time management skills
- A high standard of oral and written communication skills with the ability to tailor to needs of different audiences
- Strong working knowledge of HASW act and compliance
- Very good interpersonal skills – team player with ability to build solid working relationships across the organisation
- A sound understanding of H&S reporting and programme management practices
- Willingness to both provide H&S advice and directly deliver and produce the necessary changes and improvements
- Good proficiency with MS Office, in particular Excel
- Ideally you will hold qualifications in first aid and fire risk assessment
- Ability to travel as and when required given the needs of the role (we are a national charity with sites across the UK and NI)
What we offer:
In return for your commitment, we offer a great reward package, which includes generous annual leave entitlement, flexible working, pension scheme and season ticket loan.
We are always looking for talented people from all backgrounds, to join us and help improve the lives of children and young people with cancer and their families. We particularly want to encourage people from under-represented groups to step forward and apply to work or volunteer with CLIC Sargent.
CLIC Sargent is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
This post may be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.