Hays Health & Safety have been exclusively retained by Ascot Racecourse to recruit a Health and Safety Manager for this prestigious organisation.
Your New Organisation
Ascot Racecourse is a British racecourse, located in Ascot, Berkshire, which is used for thoroughbred horse racing. It is one of the leading racecourses in the United Kingdom, hosting 13 of Britain's 36 annual Group 1 horse races.
Ascot currently stages 26 days of racing over the course of the year, comprising 18 flat meetings held between the months of May and October inclusive. It also stages important jump racing throughout the winter months, the Royal Meeting held each June, and their most prestigious race is the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes run over the course in July.
Ascot is a first-class leisure venue and their mission is to ensure that all customers receive the best possible level of service underpinned on the following values:
- Original: Lead the way
- Uplifting: Make every moment delightful
- Elegant: Take care of the detail
The Health & Safety Manager will be responsible for co-ordinating, supporting and advising the business on all aspects regarding Health & Safety and to create a lasting positive Health & Safety culture across Ascot Racecourse and its key contractors.
Your New Role
This is a stand-alone position where the Health & Safety Manager will be responsible for establishing, managing and monitoring standards, processes, communications, training and systems to ensure all responsibilities associated with Health and Safety within Ascot Racecourse are adhered to. Reporting directly to the Event Build Manager the key duties of this position are:
- Ensure a safe workplace environment without risk to health
- Ensure the Company meets its statutory obligations in all areas relating to health, safety and welfare at work, including training and reporting
- Complete the annual audit of current Health and Safety policies
- Write new policies, procedures and safety guidelines where required
- The completion and regular review of risk assessments for all work equipment and operations
- Establish a programme of documented health & safety inspections, audits and checks
- Ensure all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented with responsibility for RIDDOR reporting where necessary
- Safety inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are correctly reported
- Liaise with the HR Department and external consultants in the provision of training programmes and health and safety services and recorded
- Manage and devise the agenda for, and chair the H&S Committee meetings. Ensure that all agreed action points are completed within deadlines
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant health, safety & welfare at work legislation and communicate relevant changes to the business
- Review H&S documentation for the company and its contractors including the Conference and Events department and Race Day documents
- Participate in monthly meetings when required to report on relevant health & safety matters. Liaise with suppliers (i.e. insurers, solicitors, etc)
What you will need to succeed
As a minimum you will hold the NEBOSH General Certificate (or equivalent) but the ideal candidate will hold the NEBOSH diploma or equivalent and be Grad IOSH. You will have a good understanding of CDM regulations and have significant experience of advising on health and safety with a broad risk profile across the leisure (or similar) industry. You will have excellent experience of setting up Health and Safety structures, policies and systems.
You will be proactive, self-motivated, with excellent attention to detail and will possess excellent customer service, influencing, engagement and communication skills.
What you’ll get in return
- Salary: £40,000 - £45,000 per annum
- Company bonus
- Full time, Permanent Employment Contract
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Company Pension Scheme
Key Application Dates
- Closing date for your application – 11th January 2019
- Interview Dates scheduled for mid-January 2019
For an informal, confidential discussion about the role, please call our Retained Recruitment Partner Tiago Sousa or Caroline Binns at Hays Specialist Recruitment on 0207 259 8724. All third party applications will be redirected to Hays Specialist Recruitment.