BAS-Serco Limited is a facilities Management Company that invites application, from suitably qualified and experienced individuals for the position of Health & Safety Manager. The successful candidate will establish company policies that will create and maintain a Health and Safety Workforce.
The Health and safety Manager is responsible for managing the Safety and Health function for the BAS Group of Companies. This will include the provision of advice, guidance and information to the subsidiary General Managers and including the CEO & President of the BAS Group of Companies in connection with the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1982 and all Regulations.
The Health and safety Manager is required to undertake risk assessment and analysis, identify and anticipate trends and make recommendations for minimizing risks for all Subsidiaries within the “Group” and including the clients it services (work sites). In addition, the Health and Safety Manager is responsible for developing, coordinating and delivering training to ensure “Group” compliance with the Act, for staff in house and at client sites (work sites).
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ensures that the Group meets its obligations and responsibilities under the OSH Act 1982
- Works in conjunction with the General Managers and Group CEO & President on an ongoing regular basis to ensure dialogue and awareness of mutual activities.
- Provides advice and guidance as request, to Group CEO & President on matters related to Safety and Health in-house and client sites.
- Communicates best practice in relation to Safety and Health at Work to all General Managers and staff members and identifies areas for development.
- Develops and carries out training, relevant to the requirements of managers and employees in connection with their duties and obligations under the Act.
- Chairs and coordinates the regular meetings of the BAS Group Safety and Health Committee in compliance with the Act.
- Responsible for the preparation of the Safety and Health program annual budget and business plan
- Ensures that all activities are carried out in accordance with budget allocation/constraints
- Undertakes inspections both scheduled and unscheduled to ensure that the Group operates in compliance with the Act.
- Develops and inspection schedule and reviews results of inspections paying particular attention to areas undertaking “high risk” work or where work is undertaken in a “high risk” environment.
- Notifies the GROUP CEO & President of any direct contravention of the Act, identifies options available for resolution a takes immediate steps to implement the agreed upon solution, and communicates to all relevant parties at all times. Ensures that the corrective and preventative action database is maintained and updated accordingly.
- Investigates and follows up on any accidents at work and notifies the relevant managers and ensures the preparation of documentation and reports as required in the circumstances. Ensures that a database containing all related information is maintained and updated accordingly.
- Assists the BAS Group of Companies in developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating a corrective plan of action and monitors to ensure responsible person completed their corrective actions to prevent recurrence.
- Reviews data analysis identifying areas of concern, improvements, and submits the results to the Group CEO & President including recommendations and improvements.
- Manages sites and dealing with Electrical Hazards, Plumbing & Sewage Hazards
- Manages sites in Mechanical & Elevator Safety and Automotive & Garage Safety
- Works to mitigate Fire & Life Safety (NFPA)
- Undertakes risk assessment studies to ensure that risk to the Group is kept to a minimum.
- Prepares reports, identifies options and makes recommendations for problem resolution
- Prepares an annual report for the Group CEO & President on the activities, results, concerns and achievements of the Groups Safety and Health Management System for distribution, discussion and action as required by the Group CEO & President
- Maintains industry and resource contacts to ensure currency
- Undertakes other related assignments as requested by the Group CEO & President
The successful candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Bachelors’ Degree in Health & Safety or related field
- 7 Years + Experience in the implementation and management of Safety and Health Programs
- Knowledge of Health & Safety Act, Clean Air Act and Environmental Acts
- Professional Safety Certification through a recognized Health and Safety Association e.g. Board of
- Certified Safety Professional (BCSP), Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (CRSP) and Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSHL) or Equivalent
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written as well as communication skills
- Sound attention to detail, problem solving in decision making skills
- Must be fully conversant with health and safety protocols including preparation of risk assessments, material data sheets and OSH compliance
- Must be able to work in confined spaces and with hazardous gases(HVAC)
- Must have experience with proper disposal of waste, including Cooper , Mercury and other hazardous wastes
- Must be flexible and open to change with comprising the overall objective an intent of this function
- Proven success at being able to influence and persuade a variety of individuals to achieve a common objective is critical
Interested applicants should apply
With “ Resume” and References to:
Group HR Manager
P.O. Box HM 719
Hamilton HM CX
Or via email:
Closing date: June 26, 2017
BAS-Serco is a part of the BAS Group of Companies