The role of Health and Safety Director is critical to the continued success and growth of the Company. As we progressively develop our health and safety management systems and continue to improve our safety culture the expectation is that the Health and Safety Director will pro-actively partner with senior managers to identify and prioritise needs within the business.
TJ Morris Limited trading as Home Bargains is a privately owned family run discount retailer selling top brands at the lowest possible price on the UK high street.
Having started in Liverpool in 1976 we have over 4 million customers visit our network of more than 480 stores each week.
With plans to increase our store portfolio to 900 stores throughout the UK we are a fast-paced retailer opening 50 stores a year.
This is a genuinely interesting opportunity to make a difference at a time of structural change of health and safety within the business.
• Be a strong advocate in ensuring Health & Safety management is an integral part of decision-making and operational management.
• Promote and lead a strong Health & Safety culture across the business developing health and safety initiatives such as requisite training, inspection, PPE requirements, auditing and continuous improvement.
• Provide professional leadership and advice ensuring statutory compliance.
• Lead an efficient and effective health and safety function to ensure that health and safety issues are properly managed.
• Over-see on-site investigations and root cause analysis of the most significant incidents or near misses.
• Serve as focal point for receipt and regional distribution and decision-making on safety alerts.
• Develop and monitor leading indicators of performance to encourage a pro-active health and safety culture (e.g. focus on training courses, tool box talks delivered, senior management site inspections performed).
• Provide relevant statistical information to the Board.
• Transactional and hands-on, balanced with an expert knowledge of corporate governance
• Analytical, logical and methodical in approach
• Depth of knowledge of current safety legislation which affects retail and logistics
• A technically strong manager; open to challenges and innovation
• Excellent communication skills; clear, concise and appropriate
• Demonstrable leadership skills
Qualifications and Experience
• Experience of leading change and conflict management
• Experience of contractor and agency management, HSE and enforcement
• At least 5 years’ experience working at a senior level within a health and safety role
• Significant experience of providing health and safety advice within a large organisation
• Experience of introducing policies, processes and systems of safe working effectively
• NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
• British Safety Council Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health
• City & Guilds Level 5 (NVQ) Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice
• NCRQ Level 6 Diploma in Applied Health and Safety
• Competitive salary
• 5.6 weeks annual leave entitlement including bank and public holiday allowance, increasing to 6.6 weeks following 5 years’ service
• Contributable pension scheme
• Company maintained vehicle, phone and laptop
• Onsite Health and Fitness Centre