Acre has been approached by a Local Authority within the Buckinghamshire region to assist in their search and selection process for an experienced Health & Safety Advisor to join their growing team. The ideal candidate will have a multi sector background, have an excellent ability to develop long lasting relationships and have the technical prowess to adapt to various day to day challenges that come from working within a Local Authority.
Purpose of role
To work within the Corporate Health and Safety team reporting to the Head of Health and Safety, the role will assist with the implementation of effective and successful management of health and safety throughout Milton Keynes Council. This will be done by carrying out safety audits and inspections to monitor and review health and safety performance at all Council controlled premises, responding to helpdesk requests, reviewing accident reports, carrying out accident / incident investigations, provide health and safety advice and guidance to managers and employees.
- Contribute to the development, consultation, implementation, evaluation, review and revision of the Council's corporate health and safety management system, strategies, policies and procedures.
- Work pro-actively with Council managers to enable them to carry out their health and safety responsibilities and assist them to implement, review and maintain corporate and directorate strategies, policies and procedures.
- Carry out regular health and safety audits and inspections of Council controlled premises and systems of work and provide reports to the appropriate persons.
- Review accident reports and where necessary carry out accident investigations and prepare reports on corrective and preventive actions, ensure external reporting is completed to the relevant enforcing authority.
- Work in conjunction with the Head of health and Safety to contribute to Council wide communication of health and safety advice and information to employees and others.
- Assist with the planning and development of health and safety training for employees, including induction training.
In close cooperation with the location's leadership team, this role will be accountable for driving health and safety efforts across a number of different sites and services that fall within local government such as schools, housing and waste management. Significant interface will be required with local management, business unit management and other internal and external stakeholders.
To Be Successful You Will Need
- NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent.
- The principles of Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems, e.g. OHSAS 18001, ISO 45001.
- Able to identify, develop and deliver health and safety information, instruction and training appropriate to the target participants/audience
- Able to deal with people tactfully and with understanding and respect.
- Additional qualifications and/or experience in the management of asbestos, (BOHS P405), and fire risk assessments, (IFE Register of Fire Risk Assessors)
- Proven track record of providing professional, technical and practical health and safety advice and guidance to all levels of a large public sector organisation
- Able to influence and communicate effectively with Directors and Senior Managers, employees and trade union safety representatives, providing sound professional advice and support.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic team where you can make a real impact into the heart of your local community then please apply now.