PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
To be the competent person for the OPCC & Northamptonshire Police for Health, Safety & Welfare, ensure compliance within all aspects of health and safety ensuring best practice.
- Manage, maintain and develop relevant Force and strategic policies and procedures to enable effective organisational compliance for health and safety and the adoption of best practice. Ensure they are accessible to others in the Force.
- Provide chief officers, OPCC and managers with information, advice, guidance and support on the implementation of effective systems and processes for health and safety.
- Oversee the Force Accident & Incident reporting systems and ensuring all RIDDOR requirements are met. Manage the Force Health and Safety Accident/ Investigation process. Advise and support managers with their investigation of accidents / incidents as necessary and take the appropriate measures to safeguard the health, safety and welfare of self, staff and others.
- Apply specialist knowledge of high-risk activities undertaken by officers and staff and advise of health and safety arrangements, identifying issues and concerns for appropriate action. This would include participating in police and agency – led simulated exercises to manage the risks to personnel and the exercise and acting in accordance with legislation, procedure and appropriate guidance.
- Act as lead for the estates and Facilities Department on Business Risk issues, preparing and monitoring business continuity plans.
- Identifying health & safety training needs and assisting in the development of appropriate training programmes.
- Undertaking a workplace inspection regime to assess the condition of Force property. Report findings taking into account relevant organisational and legislative requirements, make recommendations as appropriate.
- Attending and contributing to the work of internal, regional and national meetings and health and safety committees and striving for continuous improvement.
- Research and develop at the earliest opportunity a corporate response and necessary plans of action to new and amended health and safety legislation.
- Developing and maintaining effective communication with both internal and external safety, health and environmental professionals and professional bodies.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation, guidance and best practice.