Based at Farnham, Surrey or Roslin, Midlothian
Forest Research (FR) is the Forestry Commission’s research agency and is Great Britain’s principal organisation for forestry and tree related research and is internationally renowned for the provision of evidence and scientific services in support of sustainable forestry. Forest Research works for many Government departments, all the devolved administrations, forestry and land management stakeholders, environmental NGO’s and the European Union.
With a staff of approximately 250 people working across a broad range of roles in either office, forest or lab based environments, FR operates predominantly from two primary sites (Roslin and Farnham) with twelve other research outstations geographically spread across the UK.
The successful candidate will report directly into the Head of Human Resources and will operate as a standalone expert to promote and develop a positive safety culture as well as provide technical guidance to the organisation on a diverse range of health and safety matters including incident investigation and developing policy and practice within FR.
The key responsibilities for the role will include:
- To provide clear, accurate and timely general advice and guidance to FR and Central Services (CS) managers, employees, customers and contractors on health, safety and wellbeing issues.
- Liaise with “Technical experts” both within FR and elsewhere to develop appropriate solutions and systems to effectively manage health and safety risks.
- Take a lead role as the knowledgeable expert on specific health and safety issues.
- Be proactive in engaging with staff to understand, learn and share practices that supports an improving health and safety culture and promote employee wellbeing.
- To help drive forward the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Improvement Programme.
Professional and Technical Expertise:
As a minimum candidates are required to have:
- NEBOSH certificate or equivalent;
- Graduate membership of IOSH working towards Chartered membership;
The successful candidate will also need to demonstrate:
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills;
- Good problem solving abilities;
- Ability to question, analyse and investigate incidents;
- Excellent team player but equally motivated to work on own initiative.
For more information and to apply by 8th October, please visit our website:
Contact point for applicants (Please quote ref 1601368)
- 0300 067 5652
Interviews to be held Thursday 25th October – either at Farnham or Roslin.
No recruitment agencies please.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities for all sectors of our diverse community.