Acre are delighted to have been retained by a FTSE 250 property investment and development company to identify their new Head of Health & Safety. This is a newly created position, reporting into the Director of Sustainability, who has responsibility for Environment, Social Value and Health & Safety across the business. You will play a lead role in ensuring health and safety risk is managed effectively across their entire operational portfolio and new developments. The role includes managing a small team of in-house and outsourced experts and ensuring health and safety is managed appropriately with all supply chain partners.
You will provide strong, visible, pro-active leadership on health and safety for the business. This includes: Ensuring legal compliance, advising on industry best practice, upskilling the Occupier Services and Development Management team and management of a Health & Safety Compliance Manager.
You will also review and recommend changes for the board to improve health and safety policies for employees. Ultimately, this individual will challenge and provide leadership to all parties to ensure a "best in class" health and safety culture is embedded across the business.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead the business to meet and exceed legal compliance in health and safety, developing and then maintaining a positive health and safety culture.
- Develop the health and safety management system to meet best practice standards whilst reflecting the needs of the business
- Implement and evolve the health and safety strategy, adapting it as needs change.
- Work with the Health and Safety Compliance Manager to support the business in managing health and safety, ensuring that processes are appropriate for each department.
- Provide technical support on health and safety legislation and its application across the business:
- Providing expert advisory support
- Providing leadership and resolutions where needed
- Challenging all parties - internal and external to ensure standards are met and maintained.
- Ensure duty holders within the business are appropriately upskilled to deliver exceptional health and safety performance, support learning and challenge preconceptions of health and safety.
- Work with senior management and health and safety professionals from their Principal Contractors to understand their health and safety related challenges and champion wellbeing on our construction sites.
The successful candidate will have exceptional communications and engagement skills combined with the ability to develop long-term working relationships. You will be highly adaptable and resilient to ensure success across a growing, fast-paced environment.
The successful individual will also have:
- Senior health and safety experience, operating at a strategic level
- The ability to motivate, develop and manage individuals
- Experience from either property, development, construction or professional services with an emphasis on fire safety
- CMIOSH or equivalent preferred
For the successful candidate, this is a rare opportunity to move into a highly impactful role within a greatly admired property developer with a diverse portfolio and ambitious development pipeline.