Nirapon is an amalgamation of two Bangla words "Nirapodh" and "Abashon" which together mean "Safe Place". Nirapon is committed to promoting safety management, training and helpline programs for over 600 member factories on behalf of major garment and apparel brands in Bangladesh. The organisation will focus on the transfer of knowledge and building local service capacity. Nirapon will provide safety information that will help guide the decision-making of its member brands and sustain and expand a culture of safety within the factories.
Acre has been engaged to identify a Chief Safety Officer (CSO) who will provide expert engineering advice, strategic support and technical direction to ensure the consistency, effectiveness, and sustainability of Nirapon's commitment to building safe and sustainable working conditions in the factories across Bangladesh.
The CSO will report to the CEO and provide expert and technical advice to; the CEO, the engineering managers and teams, the Nirapon members and the Board of Directors.
Key duties will include:
- Providing leadership and mentoring support to Nirapon's engineers and technical staff, factories, consultants, contractors and other stakeholders
- Developing tools and techniques for assessing and minimizing risks and hazards in ready-made garment factories and monitoring compliance with the aligned standard through the quality assurance of third-party service providers, contractors, factories, consultants, and other applicable stakeholders
- Organize and conduct forums for member representatives based in Dhaka to provide opportunities for technical coordination and feedback
- In partnership with the Nirapon CEO, work with the International Labour Organisation (ILO) to develop and deliver interventions to build the capacity of inspectors with the Department for Inspection of Factories and Establishments (DIFE) and Fire Service and Civil Defence (FSCD) to oversee remediation and compliance activities
- Providing regular reports to the CEO and other senior advisors for dissemination to the Board of Directors, senior staff, and stakeholders regarding matters affecting technical consistency and monitoring effectiveness related to the sustained performance of systems and specific intervention strategies
- The CSO will provide oversight of the Nirapon engineers and technical teams and will have final say on life safety issues
Nirapon member brands believe in helping build capacity in the local Bangladesh market to support the efforts of owners and managers of garment factories towards continuously improving factory and worker safety. Together, Bangladesh factory owners and their Nirapon member customers, can help make the Bangladesh RMG industry one of the safest in the world
You will represent some of the best-known North American global brands and global retailers in helping workers in Bangladesh gain security, safety and dignity. Nirapon's mission is to cultivate a safe working environment for Bangladesh garment factories, workers, owners and managers by serving as the point of contact on the ground for the collective efforts of its member brands.
The Chief Safety Officer will have:
- Thorough knowledge and practical experience of building and fire safety codes
- A degree level education in a related subject such as civil, structural or fire engineering
- Proven experience in leading a group of safety / fire safety professionals in a challenging environment
- A high level of social and cultural sensitivity with knowledge of human and labour rights being highly beneficial
- The ability to lead with utmost integrity
- Extensive experience of working in relevant regions (namely Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Cambodia and other parts of SE Asia)
This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on the safety of a nation of workers, and as such, it is one of the most important and high-profile roles in health and safety globally.
To apply for this position, please submit your CV to this page. For more information, get in touch with Greg Brittian or Chloë Hunt today.